Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Analyzing Feedback and Revision Plan

A majority of the recommended revisions for my paper had to deal with expanding more on some ideas and quotes within paragraphs, in order to relate them back to my research question. The readers were sometimes left with questions after reading certain sections of my paper, so I think it is important for me to provide a little more analysis in those areas. For example, some excerpts from the revisions included: "make the connection now," "expand more on this paragraph," and "give an example." At the points these comments were made, it seems that I only scratched the surface when analyzing the topics, while the reader felt I could go further.
My use of sources and quotes to provide topics for analysis was probably my strong point, it was just a matter of going more in-depth when analyzing them. Considering these points, my main goal when revising my first draft becomes using more analysis in certain areas to lead to more inquiry throughout the paper. This will lead to more suggested answers to my research question, that is ultimately backed up by facts to prove them correct or false.


  • The main idea of my paper is essentially to analyze the portrayal of rap music in the U.S., hence the research question: "How is rap music portrayed in America?" My main claim, basically being that rap music is many times judged too quickly by many people, and that there is a lot of "good" in rap music. To do so, it is essential to provide examples of how rap is "good" and compare its content to other musical genres and forms of media. It is important to provide specific examples, in that it then backs up claims made by me or other sources. Making a strong claim in a paper really adds purpose to writing the paper.
  • All of the sources I used were scholarly articles or excerpts from a book. It was important to use scholarly sources, so that I could be confident the information I was putting into my paper was actually true. Popular sources really cannot be used for much more than opinion, hence the fact that factual information is essential in backing-up strong claims in a research paper.
  • I intend to use other sources such as personal bios of rap artists and lyrics of certain songs in my next draft. Personal bios of rap artists will provide information about them growing up and the environments they grew up in. I think this information will be very useful in showing the effect a rap artist's childhood can have on the lyrics of their songs when they grow up. This will provide me with more information about the truth being portrayed in rap music. Actual lyrics of songs will allow me to back-up claims I make about violence and misogyny in rap. After reading suggested revisions, I realized it is essential for me to provide plenty of specific examples. What could be better than lyrics?
  • I haven't necessarily arranged my sources in anyway in the paper. Instead, I arranged the topics of my paper in sequential order, relating each to the next, then using the sources with content relating to respective topics, in order to offer perspectives about them. In other words, I first arranged topics and then dispersed the quotes from sources throughout. To better address the perspectives of sources, I plan to elaborate more on their  claims, with my own opinions,  as I stated in the first paragraph.

1 comment:

  1. I'll say more later once I have carefully read your essay. However, I do think pursuing analysis is always a good thing. I have a question, too, that might help with this (and or might help you think critically about this issue as well): Why do you think rap/hip-hop music is too quickly misjudged? Do you think it's a racial issue? An issue of stereotypes? Something else altogether? (Or a combination of things?) Whatever it is, you might think about that, too, as you revise.

    ReplyDelete